Monday 23 September 2013

R.I.P.D. - Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters


 
Two further quick film reviews!

R.I.P.D. ** (2 Stars)

I really wanted this film to be better than it was, but I’ll have to start with the negative ... if it wasn’t for Geoff Bridges' appalling Southern drawl it would have got a 3 stars.  Unfortunately, he used the same utterly dreadful accent that he used when he played a cowboy in ‘True Grit’.  His drawl was so ‘drawly’ that I really needed subtitles ... I just couldn’t understand him and it was so infuriating – I got completely transfixed on his awful accent that I really couldn’t relax and enjoy the film.

I remember having to re-watch True Grit with the subtitles on when it came out on DVD because I really couldn’t understand a word he was saying.  So unfortunate that he chose the exactly the same accent for this film too.

OK, I’ll try and move on now ... basically if you liked the Men in Black movies, in all likelihood you’ll like this too.  In fact I think you could have swapped Bridges and Ryan Reynolds (who was the best thing about it ... yum!) for Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones and it would have been difficult to tell if it was part of that franchise or not!

So what’s it about?  Well in a nut shell, a cop (Ryan Reynolds) is brutally murdered by his partner Kevin Bacon (haven’t seen him in anything but EE ads for a while ... that was a bit of a surprise) and ends up being recruited by the Afterlife Police in order to hunt down dead people, who refuse to die.  Sounds a bit gruesome, but its very tongue in cheek with the ‘dead people’ being rather demon like (in a Men in Black 'alien' type way).

That’s enough of all that now ... go and see it if you really like Men in Black and could bear Bridges awful accent in True Grit ... have I sold it to you?  Here’s the trailer...
 


 

Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters ** (2 Stars)

This was bloody awful – and probably shouldn’t have the same score as the film above because it was far worse.  If you’ve got a 12 year old boy, he’d probably love it, but that’s as far as it went for me.

Percy, the son of Poseidon, teams up with his Demigod (half God/half human) friends to try and find the Golden Fleece in order to save a tree (yes, honestly – well a tree that grew out of a girl that got killed years before by a Cyclops – yes, honestly!). The story follows their journey.  I still can't figure out why it was called Sea of Monsters though ... hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Here’s the trailer, but I definitely can’t recommend it!!! ...
 



 
 
Right lovelies, until next time, be fabulous!
Lots of love
Jx
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment