Sunday 22 December 2013

Travelling to Thailand

Well, it's the second day of traveling and it's still not really gone very smoothly.  On the flight I had a window seat and happened to have two rather burley Muslim guys sitting next to me.  To me there's nothing worse than having someone twice the size of me sitting next to me on a plane.  Somehow, they just can't stay in their own seats and seem to spill out on to mine.  So with the fact that we left 2 hours late (and boy was I panicking about my next connection) but I had to spend the whole 7 hours squished into a corner with barely a wink of sleep.  I did notice the difference between the two cultures quite starkly at one point …. I was watching Despicable Me 2 and the guy next to me was listening to the Koran.

So we landed in Dubai, 2 hours late - my connecting flight should have left but because it was the same Airline, Emirates, they decided to delay the flight (I think there were quite a few people transfering from our plane to the next so thank God they delayed it.

However, having landed and only being given half an hour to check in and board the next plane, tempers were more than a bit fraught.  We came off the plane to utter bedlam.  The staff didn't tell us what to do or where to go, they just kept shouting place names and tellling us to wait, all the time the clock was ticking.  I can't tell you how stressed I was, I really didn't want to miss that plan!

Eventually, we got told that we would have to go through bag check again (which was a bit of a joke because they'd just seen us come off one plane and the baggage check was right outside the door).  They also didn't bother checking any luggage that I could see apart from chucking it through an X-Ray machine.  But then again, I’m guessing that the risk of terrorist activity in

Well that was a bit of a nightmare.  Last plane landed at 7.20 pm and you'd think that with my next flight being at 9.00 that would give me plenty of time to get from one gate to another.  Wrong … very wrong … when I checked my bag in in Manchester, the woman had only booked it through to Bangkok and not to my final destination, Koh Samui.  So, I had to wait for the walkway to be attached, the first and business class to disembark, then us in cattle class where let off.  I think had to go out through customs (it was 8.05 by this time - thank God it wasn't the Caribbean, I could have still been there now!!) and while I was waiting for my bag, I thought I'd better tell someone that I was in the airport and that I would check in as soon as possible.  

Turns out that was the right thing to do - a lovely man took me to the baggage desk, checked that my luggage had arrived (thank The Lord) and phoned through to book me in.  I then had to wait for my case (which took another 10 minutes …. I was starting to sweat … by the way, I was wearing a new toffee coloured  Juicy with bronze heeled Carvela trainers and a Louis Vuitton leopard scarf, gorgeous beige mulberry tote and leopard print carry on case - just in case you were wondering and juicy velour may be marvelous for doing long haul journey's in, but in warm countries, the toweling ones are better.  

So, at this point, I'm erm glowing and when I finally made it to the gate (which is where I'm typing this) I thought I'd take the jacket off - big mistake.  I'd worn a white vest top underneath and as I'd put my false tan on the day before (not wanting to use a sunbed but not wanting to arrive on the beach looking paler than pale) because I really was 'glowing' my tan had transferred to my top so not only did I have nasty sweat marks around my middle, they were a browny orange colour from my tan … Nice!

Awwww you've gotta laugh.  So I'm sitting at the gate, waiting to board, feeling very tired, hot and a bit sweaty.  Let's hope it'll be all worth it when I get there.  Right lovelies, more tomorrow, until then, be fabulous.

Lots of love


Jx

No comments:

Post a Comment