Friday 2 December 2011

Face Tattoo’s Hurt! (Even semi-perm ones!)


I can’t believe I haven’t told you about my eyebrows yet!  I’ve had them tattoo’d!!!!!  Ouch!

For years I’ve wanted to have them done, after major over plucking in the 80’s and subsequent waxing mishaps made by incompetent therapists over the years, I’m left with very sparse eyebrows which I have to pencil in.  I’ve been thinking of having semi-permanent tattoos done for ages but have never found anyone who I’d trust to do them. 

I knew of a few people who’d had them done, but I have to be honest, they’re all pretty awful.  Either those hideous big black square brows that look really unrealistic or totally the wrong shape or colour making the person look permanently startled or really angry!  (I had those HD Brows a few months ago ... dunno if you’ve heard of them ... think I may have mentioned them in an earlier post, but they kinda ended up like those big, thick, square ‘Scouse Brows’ ... watch ‘Desperate Scousewives’ which started on Monday and you’ll  understand what I mean .. the ugliest brows I’ve ever seen).

So, how did I end up having my brows done by the country’s leading eyebrow tattoo type lady?  Well, if you’ve been reading my posts, you’ll know that I’m really not good with poor customer service and shoddy workmanship, especially when it’s something as visible as your eyebrows ...

I was having a chat with Mehreen about my brows ...  I don’t know if you’ve guessed this, but Mehreen is Asian and I don’t know if you’ve ever noticed this too, but I’ve never seen an Asian lady that doesn’t have the most fabulously shaped brows (apparently it’s an absolute must and according to Mehreen, “There’s no excuse for bad brows”! I do love her ... she makes me laugh!).  Well, when I mentioned I fancied having my brows tatoo’d, she immediately told me that I should get them done with Nilam Patel, as she knew someone who’d had it done with her and her brows were amazing.

So without further ado, we did a quick Google check ... turns out that she does the brows of everyone from Kylie and Dannii to GaGa, Katie Price (hmmmmm) loads of people you’d know from lots of well known TV shows and she’s THE Brow Lady on XFactor ... the very one that sorted out Cher’s crazy brows ... do you remember them?  She’d shaved of her natural brows and pencilled spidery thin brows in the middle of her forehead!  Now I don’t watch the XFactor, but I remember her crazy brows!

So, I promptly rang the Spa number (not a salon this time ... a Spa!) and was told that there was a waiting list until January 2012 and I should ring back in October to make an appointment ... this was March 2011!! OMG! Apparently, she had so many celeb clients and was so busy with her other company ... yes you guessed it “HD Browns” ... that it would be nearly a year before she’d be able to fit me in.  Now I must point out here, that this procedure is not cheap ... decidedly not cheap, so I really didn’t think I’d have to wait that long.  Anyway, I asked if I could leave my number in case they had a cancellation.  The receptionist said that it was unlikely, but yes, she would keep my number.

Well, we kinda forgot all about it and I continued to fill my brows in using Illamasque eyebrow cake and their wonderful angled eyebrow bush (available at Selfridges ... thanks for the tip, Mehreen - both products are quite amazing actually ... they beat pencils hands down ... very precise!).  Anyway, at the beginning of October, I got a call out of the blue from the Spa asking if I was free on 21st as there was an appointment available.  Well, of flamin course I was available!  So it was booked there and then, together with an appointment 6 weeks later for a top up.  Phew!  I was out and about when I got the call and was so excited that the first thing I did was ring Mehreen to tell her (she loves that stuff as much as I do!).  We’re both girlie girlies ... what can I say!!! Lol

So the momentous day arrived and as I had to travel to Milton Keynes and get there for 11.00, I got up super early (I do loads of travelling and MK is only a couple of hours away, but cos you never know what the traffic’s doing and my ‘issue’ with lateness, I left about 7.30 ... and got there at 9.30! Nutter!  After a stop off at a service station for coffee, I finally arrived at the Spa for 10.45 ... filled the necessary paperwork in and had a ‘numbing’ cream applied to my brows.

 
When Nilam arrived I was quite shocked at how small she was, she was tiny (I guess people always look bigger on telly!), but she is extremely pretty (great skin), with fab brows (obv) and absolutely lovely ... such a sweet person, I liked her straight away ... even more so once she started to tell me some fab stories!

I had my consultation, we agreed to keep my brows the same size as they currently were when I’d filled them in, so that I didn’t get scared when they were done!  She said that if, when they’d settled down I wanted them thicker, then she would do it at the top up.  So I settled down to an hour’s worth of pain!

Boy did it hurt ... despite the fact that she kept putting numbing cream on.  The hour went unbelievable quickly ... she was so funny ... I loved it (not the pain though!). When she’d finished, they were THE most fabulous shape, but extremely black!  Like, CRAZYILY black.  She said that I should go really heavy on the eye makeup for the next week or so – like ‘going out’ eyes heavy – to counteract the darkness of them. I was told to put cream on them at least 3 times a day, that the scab (yes, scab!) would drop off after about a week (hmmmmm nice!) and they’d look really pale for a while.  However, over the next month the pigment would come through in time for my top up, 6 weeks later.

Gotta be honest, that week was a nightmare ... you obviously (like any newly done tattoo) can’t pick at it ... and when you’ve got flakey bits in your brows, it’s hard to resist ... it also doesn’t look particularly attractive! lol

.... It was all so worth it though ... I had such a fantastic day ... I loved every minute of it and my brows look fab, although I think I may go a little bit thicker when I have my top up ... which I’m so looking forward to!

Anyway, as usual, must rush ... until next time be fabulous, lovely people.

Lots of love

Jx

No comments:

Post a Comment