Monday 19 March 2012

The Hunger Games




Well, I’ve got to say that I’m pretty excited about the release of the Hunger Games movie this week.  If you remember, I read all three of the Hunger Games books (by Suzanne Collins) before Christmas and absolutely loved them.  It’s the first series of books I’ve read one after the other, virtually without putting them down, since I read the Twilight books.

They’re totally absorbing.  In case you’ve been living in a cave and don’t know what all the fuss is about, the book first book introduces sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen who lives in a post-apocalyptic world in the country of Panem where the countries of North America once existed. The Capitol, a highly advanced metropolis, holds absolute power over the rest of the nation. The Hunger Games are an annual event in which one boy and one girl aged 12 to 18 from each of the 12 districts surrounding the Capitol are selected by lottery to compete in a televised battle in which only one person can survive.

The Games are a punishment for a previous rebellion against the Capitol 75 years ago in which a 13th district was destroyed.  The story follows 16-year-old Katnis who volunteers for the 74th annual Hunger Games in place of her younger sister, Primrose and her friend Peeta Mellark as they fight for survival.


I’ve got to be honest, the books are gripping and I’m hearing really good things about the film too.  Curently, Flixster, whom I use to get all my film ‘intelligence’ ie I look at their reviews to see whether something’s worth watching or not – they’re fab cos they split reviews down between critics and users.  I don’t really care what critics think, the important reviews are the ones from the ordinary viewers like you and me, however, in this case, critics have given it 100% and 98% of regular humans want  to see it.  So that bodes very well.  I can’t wait – so I’ll definitely be there on Friday and will give you a full review afterwards.

The film stars Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen, Josh Hutcherson as Peeta Mellark and Liam Hemsworth as Katniss’ other love interest (she has two) Gale Hawthorne.  Got to be honest, I haven’t heard of any of them but that’s not a bad thing (hmmmm on second thoughts, it was for the Twilight films, those actors are as wooden as my office floor).  The actors I have heard of are Woody Harrelson (I like him, especially in the role he played in Zombieland ... love that film) who plays Haymitch Abernathy, Katniss and Peeta’s mentor who won the games years ago and is now an old drunk.  Also in it is Lenny Kravitz and Stanley Tucci (love him, especially in Julie and Julia) ... Kravitz should be interesting, I don’t think I’ve seen him in anything before.





So, until Friday and my review, you’ll have to make do with a couple of trailers ... enjoy!  (Sorry you can’t play them from here, but whoever posted them on YouTube won’t let me add the code I need to add – hope it doesn’t spoil your enjoyment too much!




Have a wonderful week my lovelies.  Be fabulous.

Lots of love

Jx




No comments:

Post a Comment